Saturday, July 23, 2011

Olio Nero

                                        
                                            SOLD



A couple of weeks ago on the Daily Paintworks website, Carol Marine issued a challenge to paint items that we paint with.  Many of the artists on the website submitted entries. I didn't know what to paint the other day, so I thought I would jump on that bandwagon, too. I had a lot of fun with this one. I like the abstract pattern of light shapes formed by the twisted tubes and the side of the bottle against the dark background.  The spot of red adds a wonderful color note.

Olio nero (black oil) is a medium  I used when I studied at the Florence Academy of Art.  It is made by the art supply store Zecchi  from traditional old master recipes.  Because it is made with lead, it speeds the drying time of paint.  It also gives the paint a nice glossy sheen.  I haven't used it lately, but I saved the bottle which made a great prop.  I love the golden glow of light on the bottle's far side. Stay tuned for some more in this series.....



No comments:

Post a Comment